Saturday, April 15, 2006

Book of Myself - Early Years - Family - One of Mom's traits I admired was:

Outgoing - Mom was, and still is, a natural born extrovert. As a shy kid growing up, I was always amazed watching my mother work a room of strangers. Within minutes she would be laughing with new acquaintances and making them feel at ease. Maybe it was her southern charm, she grew up in Texas, but socializing seemed to come so easy to her. As a young adult I asked her to teach me how she did it. She responded that she didn’t know how to teach it, that it just came to her. Nevertheless, I watched an copied. I learned as much as I could from her, and as an adult I can now “turn on” my extrovert switch when I need to, but I can never match the grace and confidence she radiates when meeting new people.

Expert shopper - Mom had a sixth sense for it. My Dad was a Methodist minister with a small stipend. With six mouths to feed, money was tight. Nevertheless, Mom always found a way to get us kids new clothes and supplies before school started, and always had enough left over for our Christmas wish list. I was an active kid and went though pants and shoes like a meat grinder. She loved to take us to the Sears headquarters store on the West Side of Chicago. When we arrived home with stuffed shopping bags, Dad got mad and told her we couldn’t afford all the things she bought us. But I always remember having fresh clothes and sneakers every September. Thanks Mom.